When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, July 1, 2013

YOUR will, not mine, LORD


I’ve been trying for several weeks to get to the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation (Confession) but work kept getting in the way.  And it seems the longer I stay away from this necessary sacrament of confession, the easier it is to cave in to temptations.  I finally told myself “enough is enough!” and decided I couldn’t wait any longer.  So I checked the diocesan website and found a church that offered the Sacrament on Thursday evenings at 7pm.  At first, I was hesitant because that’s relatively late and would not allow me time for dinner.  I determined that mind-set was the devil trying to keep me away from the healing I desperately needed. 

My workday on Thursday seemed to drag on and on.  I guess I was anxious to bare my soul to Christ in the confessional.  It didn’t escape my notice that the church is the same church I was baptized in nearly 60 years ago.  That really added to my anticipation. I made plans to get to the church at 6:30 to say a rosary and examine my conscience. 

When I first walked into the church, there was about 20 people already there.  My thoughts went into overdrive.  I decided to keep it positive. “Oh well, not a problem-I’ll just be patient and make a good confession.”   It was extremely hot weather and the air conditioning was not on.  “OK, Lord, I get it.  I’m still going to do this.  You did so much more for me, after all!”  Then a group of musicians showed up with their instruments.  “You’re kidding, Lord!  Are you telling me I misread the time for penance?”  I was getting ready to leave when another man shows up and starts addressing the crowd (about 50 or so now) in Spanish.  I had already recited my rosary and examined my conscience.  I was sure this was going to be the most comprehensive confession I’ve ever made, and here I was standing up ready to leave.  The man took notice of me and in a thick Spanish accent started repeating in English what he had just told the others.  I know it was for me specifically, because he was looking right at me as he spoke.  He said he was sorry he was running late, but he would be staying as long as it took to hear everyone’s confession.  Since he wasn’t wearing his collar, I had no idea he was the priest!  He went to the Sacristy and brought the monstrance out.  We had an adoration service and recited the rosary (my second) in Spanish.  Then as the musicians played and sang Mexican spiritual songs in front of the Blessed Sacrament, the priest began hearing confessions.  After he heard my confession I was so in awe of all that had transpired it didn’t occur to me that it was after 9PM until my stomach said “FEED ME!”  at the same time my soul was prompting me to say “I will follow You wherever You go, Lord.” I am so weak in my faith.  But….. 

The Lord is kind and merciful.  God redeems our life from destruction.  However, this life free from destruction may look very different than the life we would imagine.  As Jesus tells us time and time again, a life following Him will not follow general conventions about “the good life.”  As Jesus teaches over and over again, we must give up our focus on building our own lives to fit our own desires in order to enter the abundant life that He wants us to enjoy with Him.  The challenge each day is to be willing to give up the place to lay our head and the burying of the dead that distracts us from the greater purposes to which He is calling us.  Yet we still do have day-to-day tasks that are part of our calling and our life of love.  I know in my own life it’s easy to allow my days to become destructive for myself and for those around me when I focus on the anxieties of tasks that seem overwhelming and the need to have everything under control.  I need to pray, today and every day, for help in redeeming my life from this destruction – to help me to focus on love and service rather than accomplishment and control.  I want to follow Jesus with abandon – whatever that means today.

How many times have we prayed the words “I will follow You wherever You go, Lord.” (Matthew 8:19) in all sincerity from our hearts?  Perhaps it was after a retreat, during a period of crisis when we are praying for help, or the many times we have felt the presence of Jesus close within us just as I felt after my confession last week.  Then what happens?  We get busy; life's responsibilities pull us in a multitude of directions.  We step out into the world and the culture of the times is often counter to the teachings of Christ.  It’s easier to just "go with the flow" and then retreat back to our safe haven at home.  It’s almost like living two lives!

The hard reality is to recall that, as Christians, we are meant to bear Christ wherever we go.  There is never a vacation from being a Christian once we have said that we will follow Christ.  We have the responsibility to serve by our own examples, by our actions and words.  We cannot remain silent when we see injustices and misinformation.  It means staying informed about our faith-beliefs and what is happening in our local and national spheres.  It is a big responsibility, but also a privilege.  We don’t go alone, as God is always with us.

No comments: