When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Birthday wishes

Frank Calvelli, (my father-in-law) or Papa, as his grandchildren called him, was born on June 14, 1914.  He passed away on October 23, 1995.  Today is his 100th birthday! 

He was very proud of the fact that he was born on Flag Day in the United States.  He was also very proud of his Italian heritage. His parents migrated here from Calabria, Italy at the turn of the century, which made him a first generation Italian. 

He was not a particularly religious man. Still, he was a very good man and patriotic American.  He served in Patton’s tank corps in Northern Africa during WWII.  He saw some heavy action that he rarely liked to talk about, but he would if pressed.  He said he had nightmares sometimes about the war, so we rarely did press him.
    
I knew him as a father longer than I knew even my own father.  He accepted me into his family and treated me like his own son without any reservations whatsoever.  When I asked for his daughter’s hand in marriage (yes, we still did things like that back then), he held up his index finger, and said only one word. That word described what he considered the most important trait a marriage needs for longevity.  “Respect” he said, as he held up that finger, then he repeated it—for effect—“Respect”.  He went on to explain that he would expect nothing more and would accept nothing less from the man who married his daughter.  I humbly submit that the longevity of my and Marilyn’s marriage and our continuously growing love is due in large part to his advice.

When his grandchildren came along, he loved them unconditionally and totally.  He acted gruff sometimes, but anyone who really knew him saw right through that, including his grandchildren. 

I often think of Papa and miss him terribly-- as much as I miss my own Dad.  I hope that I will see them again someday.  In the meantime, I hope and pray that I can continue to live my life in a way that would make them both proud.


Happy Birthday, Frank!  Happy Father’s Day to both of my fathers!

No comments: