When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Rest easy, Mom


With my crazy work schedule, I never know where I'm going to go to mass on any day of the week.  Today, since I had to work and I am in Fresno, I went to St. Helen's parish on Belmont Ave. because they offered an 8AM service that I could attend before starting my shift.  There was an earlier mass at the Cathedral, but 6:30 masses don't usually have the singing or the sense of "community" that I enjoy.

Today was one of those days that I couldn't keep focused at mass. It was like sensory overload!

First, I thought about the irony of a church dedicated to the woman (Saint Helen) who is best known for (allegedly) finding the Cross of Christ that does not have a traditional crucifix behind the altar, but rather a sculpture of the risen Christ.  Make no mistake, it is a beautiful sculpture, mounted on a fabulous painting of what I assume is the Holy Land.  It actually is quite moving and conducive to meditation, but the irony still struck me.

Then, after finally getting refocused on what I was looking at, I realized that the depiction of the Ascension was reminding me of Mom, who died on the feast day of the Ascension.  Tears started flowing.  And mass hadn't even started yet!  Here's the funny thing about my tears; I don't think they were from my lingering sadness at losing Mom--rather they were tears of grateful thanksgiving to God that Mom is in Jesus' merciful arms and no longer in pain or stress.

The Liturgy was very prayerful with great hymn selections that fit my vocal range, and my taste.  The two hymns that stick out in my mind as I write this are "Jesus, I Know You Are Near" and "America the Beautiful".  I was surprised to find that I still know the lyrics to both of these by heart, even though I don't hear them that often.

The deacon proclaimed the Gospel and delivered the homily. It was very touching and spoke directly to my thoughts of Mom (again).  In case you didn't get to mass today, the Gospel was from Matthew, which ends with the lines “Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

Rest easy, Mom.


No comments: