When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Prodigal Son


Gospel means “Good News.” The bible is one big book of “good news”.  But also accounts of sadness, betrayal, pain, suffering, and eventually a very horrifying death.  It’s hard for me to admit that I, through my sins, have a share in the reason why Jesus had to suffer and die.

This is the time of the year when they show the television epic “Jesus of Nazareth”.  While the movie has some flaws and takes a few liberties for the sake of entertainment, it has some moments that really make me reflect on my faith. I especially like the way it presents the parable of the prodigal son. Aside from the Nativity and Resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ, this is my favorite passage in the Scriptures. 

In case you haven’t heard the story before (gasp!), the “righteous” Jews (the disciples) would not mingle with the friends and relatives of the tax collector, Matthew. Those closest to Jesus even tried to dissuade Him from consorting with them because of their questionable character.  Jesus said to Peter (and this is the message that seemed to drown out all of the other dialogue for me), “I have not come to save the righteous, but those who are lost to the Father”.  His disciples (including Peter) remained outside, because they still didn’t seem to get the message. Then Jesus told the parable of the prodigal son.  At the end of the parable, Peter finally understood the message and entered the house of Matthew and embraced him as a long lost brother. I still cry when I watch that scene.

What I love most about the parable is that I can place myself in the position of all 3 characters—the father, the wayward (prodigal) son and the faithful son.

I think I understand the boundless love the father has for both of his children, even when one of them disowns him and squanders his inheritance.  I love my family more than anything.  I don’t think there is anything they could do lessen my love for them.   If they should ever disappointed me, I would easily forgive and just as easily forget.   This is not just sentiment.  I have meditated long hours on this scenario.  I know my love for my children is this strong.

I definitely identify with the wayward son.  I am a sinner.  And I too have realized that I need to go back to my Father again and again and confess that I have sinned and ask for forgiveness.  There is no greater release of stress for me than when I avail myself of the Sacrament of Confession.  Of course the fact that I have to keep going back shows me just how much of a sinner I am!

And I can identify with the faithful son who feels jealous of his father’s attention towards his brother.  He tells his father that he never got so much as a goat to share with his friends.  I go to Mass.  I try to be faithful.  I write a few things now and then to help spread His word.  Why don’t things always go my way?  Perhaps I just haven’t asked sincerely, with the faith of a child, and with a love of God and my neighbor as the motivation. 

No comments: