When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, March 2, 2015

Hello. I Am A Judge


I got to Bakersfield about 4:30 pm and got a good parking spot close to the stairs of the apartment so I wouldn’t have to carry my bags so far to get settled in.  The spot also allowed me to keep an eye on my car, since the area is not very safe.  Most days I have to move my car closer to the store so the cameras will pick up any shenanigans should they occur during the night.  But today I was lucky.  The other guys who share the apartment came in later and there was also a spot for them.  This is unusual, but I was thankful we all had good spots.
 
At about 7:00 I decided to get some dinner.  When I came back, the other guys were hogging the space I had intended to reclaim!  My immediate thought was “You inconsiderate SOBs!  You probably couldn’t wait to hog both spaces!”

As I hit the stairwell after parking my car much further away than I wanted to, one of the other guys was at the top.  He said “Do you have enough room to park?  They (the assistant Manager of the store and his team) asked me to move my van over so they could park a truck where we were.  It looks like a tight squeeze for you to park where you were.  Did you want me to move?”  I said “No, thanks.  I’m good.”  

But am I?  I was seething from the time I discovered my parking space was taken until Rudy explained why he had moved his car.  Why??  Because I’m judgmental; I see that now.  The question I’m going to have to ask myself more often is “Who am I to judge?”   It’s funny (Providential?) that this incident ties into today’s Gospel reading:

LK 6:36-38
Jesus said to his disciples: “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
“Stop judging and you will not be judged.
Stop condemning and you will not be condemned.
Forgive and you will be forgiven.
Give and gifts will be given to you; a good measure, packed together, shaken down, and overflowing, will be poured into your lap.
For the measure with which you measure will in return be measured out to you.”


Pope Francis had a beautiful homily on this reading today.  It can be found here.  

No comments: