When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Monday, June 22, 2015

Top 5 Spiritual Moments of Our Vacation (for me)

Today marked 12 days since we’ve been back from Italy and I’m still on a “high”.   There were so many great experiences that I’m afraid I may forget some if I don’t write them down!  I think I can classify my  experiences into three types; a spiritual pilgrimage, an ancestral pilgrimage to the hometown of Marilyn’s paternal grandparents and a family vacation to recharge our batteries and let us forget about our work for a couple of weeks.
Over the next few weeks, I want to give the “5 best moments” of each type of experience.  It’s going to be really difficult because I can only think of about 3 things I didn’t really enjoy on the trip.  For instance, the long flights (unavoidable, I’m afraid), the length of the vacation (entirely too short) and my inability to keep up physically with the rest of the family at times (which precluded me from experiencing a great hike along the Amalfi Coast and climbing to the top of some of the higher cathedrals, etc., that I know I would have loved to do if in better shape).
I want to start by giving thanks to God for blessing me with such a great family.  I give Marilyn and the kids all the credit for the greatest pilgrimage I could have asked for!
The best 5 moments for me spiritually in no particular order (except the first, of course!):
1.       Attending a General Audience with Pope Francis, getting to within 5’ of him as he drove past in his “popemobile”.   It was the fulfillment of a lifelong dream!
2.   Taking a tour of the Vatican Museum and St. Peter’s Basilica, including the Sistine Chapel and Michelangelo’s Pietá. 
3.   We visited all four of the Papal Basilicas—St Peter’s, St. Paul’s Outside-the-Walls, St. John Lateran, and St. Mary Major, attending a first mass for a new priest in one, and having my confession heard in another.
4.  Going into and praying in many, many of the “ancient Roman churches” (as the taxi drivers describe them, lol)
5.   Having some real faith-based conversations with Lily in many of those churches. 
I will write separate posts on each of these experiences over the next 5 days….I’m just so overwhelmed tonight by remembering each of them that I can’t focus on just one right now.  The good news is that I’ll have a written record of my trip through my blog that my kids and descendants  can pull up and read years from now.  The bad news is that it’s going to take about 3 weeks or more to recount all of the experiences.  I hope I can keep my mind fresh with the details.  It’s a good thing I have pictures to help me remember. 


Good night for now.   

No comments: