When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, August 22, 2020

We're called to be a 'rock' for others

 

I have become quite eager to take a walk every day.  It affords me the peace and quiet I need to pray and reflect and then listen to Jesus speak to me.  But the last week has been a challenge for me.  Between the COVID lockdown, the August heat wave, and the smoke-filled air from the three hundred plus fires burning in California, I’ve had to go into ‘seclusion’, staying inside my home and trying to cope.  So I felt a certain connection with the Gospels I reflected on today.  My reflection is on the discussion Jesus had with His disciples in a ‘secluded’ place in the region of Caesarea Philippi. (Mark 9:18-21; Matthew 16:13-20)

After praying in solitude, Jesus asked His disciples what the people were saying about Him, then asked them what they thought: “But who do you say that I am?”  And Peter responded, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” Jesus is wise enough to know that this confession of faith didn’t come from him but from the Father, and said, “And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock, I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven.”

Thinking of Peter, I was drawn to the phrase that Jesus used: “upon this rock I will build my church.” Jesus didn’t say, “upon this rock I build my church.”  This is important because, having the knowledge of the entire Gospel, we know that Peter will have a lot to go through before he seems to be anything like a “rock.”

Peter still had a lot to learn.  He still had to understand what was going to happen to Jesus.  He still needed to learn that he couldn’t rely on his own strength, which he realized most poignantly on Good Friday when, out of fear, he denied that he even knew Jesus.  He had to repent and then experience reconciliation with the Resurrection of Jesus (John 21:15-19).  And after that, he had to receive the Holy Spirit.  And indeed, he did become a rock for the Church, until he was martyred for the Gospel.

Jesus directs the same question to us today: "Who do people say that I am?"  It’s a question we should reply to in prayer and in our lives.  If we answer as Peter did, "The Christ of God" (Luke 9:20), we'd better also think of the cost; "The Son of Man must suffer greatly" (Luke 9:22).

Peter’s journey indicates to us that we too have to go through times of repentance and reconciliation, death, and resurrection.  We, too, are called to be a “rock” for others, just as there are times when others are a “rock” for us.  And although we haven’t been given the “keys to the kingdom” as Peter was, we have been given “keys” to life with God.  We’ve been given Jesus as Lord and Savior.  We’ve been given the Holy Spirit.  We’ve been given the Word and the sacraments.  We’ve been given love and grace beyond anything we could possibly deserve or earn.

Jesus doesn't want us to tell others who He is, but rather to know that in our hearts and to see Him in our daily lives and to live as He lived no matter what the cost.  May we use the “keys” of Jesus’ Cross and Resurrection to enter more deeply into the love that God has for us and the commandment to love one another. 

As to when the air will clear, and cooler temperatures return so I can get back to my daily walks, "There is an appointed time for everything." (Ecclesiastes 3:1)  I trust in Jesus and I hope it’s soon.

No comments: