When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Friday, May 20, 2022

Slow down, listen, and discern

 

Early on in my management career I learned to set daily goals and create my “to do” lists.  On most days I was single-minded about getting those goals and tasks accomplished.  But I also found myself being frustrated when things went wrong or when stuff happened to prevent or limit my accomplishments.  Does this sound familiar to you?

“They traveled through the Phrygian and Galatian territory because they had been prevented by the Holy Spirit from preaching the message in the province of Asia.” [Acts 16: 1-10]

The early Church was most focused on preaching and teaching the gospel message resulting in the people growing in faith and increasing in numbers.  I find it most interesting that when things went wrong or didn’t go the way they thought it should, the early Christians saw this as a sign of the Spirit leading or preventing them from proceeding.  Usually, when things don’t go my way, I sometimes get frustrated or angry rather than discern that God’s Spirit is speaking to me and providing guidance.

I remember learning a prayer when I was very young that the CCD teacher told us would be a great morning “offering”: “O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart.”

What if each of us begin each day offering our day and our “to do” lists to God and ask for attunement to the Spirit speaking to us.  Lord, help me to slow down, to listen and discern Your guiding and leading me this day.  Amen.

No comments: