When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, January 29, 2023

Be free!

 

“What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God?  I adjure you by God, do not torment me!” (He had been saying to him, “Unclean spirit, come out of the man!”)  He asked him, “What is your name?”  He replied, "Legion is my name.  There are many of us.”  [Mark 5:7–9]

To most people, such an encounter would be terrifying.  This man was possessed by a multitude of demons.  He lived on the hillsides among various caves by the sea, and no one wanted to go near him.  He was a violent man, crying out day and night, and all the townspeople were fearful of him.  But when this man saw Jesus at a distance, something amazing happened.  Instead of Jesus being terrified of the man, the multitude of demons possessing the man became terrified of Jesus.  Jesus then commanded the many demons to leave the man and enter a herd of about two thousand swine instead.  The swine immediately ran down the hill into the sea and drowned.  The possessed man returned to normal, becoming clothed and in his right mind.  All who saw him were amazed.

I believe we all have moments of weakness, those times when we allow ourselves to revert to our pasts and relive moments of sadness, guilt, shame, maybe the pain of living through a life alone.  It can be an overwhelming feeling.

But we must always remember that we see Jesus, always in our path.  We must be aware of His presence, His ability to relieve us of our pains and doubts.  And we need to KNOW that when we’re forgiven, it’s done.  Move on in your life, knowing that a loving and merciful God forgives.  And know that God places in that path people who will help mold you and grow in your faith.  I have been blessed with a marriage to my rock that has sustained almost 49 years of experiences of joys, hurts, doubts, children, and grandchildren!  But God’s magnificent plan has me where I need to be, experiencing what I need to experience for His greater glory.

The Lord wants you free – free to do His will.  So be free.  Forgive, be forgiven, and be free.

My most powerful Lord, I offer to You, this day, the person whom I call to mind who is most in need of Your redeeming grace. May I never lose hope in Your ability to transform their life, to forgive their sins and to bring them back to You. Use me, dear Lord, to be an instrument of Your mercy, so that they will come to know You and experience the freedom You so deeply desire that they receive. Jesus, I trust in You.

No comments: