When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Take the risk

 

The word seek, as defined by Webster’s Dictionary, can mean to search for; to be in quest of; to ask for something or to achieve something.  Seeking God can mean that we may be lost, or we may be seeking God’s will in our lives, or seeking God to ask for a need.  Seeking God in any of these forms is a journey that takes a lifetime.  A journey that calls us to conversion throughout our lives.  The scriptures, the Eucharist, and personal prayer guides us in this journey.

As with any journey we need to take a few things along.  Matthew’s Gospel gives us the tools we need for our spiritual journey through the Beatitudes [Matthew 5:1-12].  Meekness, showing mercy, being a peacemaker, being hungry for justice and a few others.  And this journey isn’t without its trials and tribulations. We’re warned that there will be insults and persecutions along the way.  Nowhere in scripture does it say that being a follower of Christ is going to be a breeze.  On the contrary, it’s challenging to be a Christian.  If we are walking on the right path it will be hard sometimes not just for us but for those around us as well.  We challenge others not so much with our words as we do with our actions.

Saint Paul’s letter to the Corinthians also assists us in this journey of seeking God by explaining the difference between the wisdom of God and the wisdom of the world [1 Corinthians 1:26-31].  How do we know what is the wisdom of the world and what is the wisdom of God?  Taking time to reflect upon a situation, events, or what someone else says to us or to a larger group is important.  What is going to be my response considering the scriptures or teachings of the Church?  How am I going to grow in my spiritual life because of my response?  Is it going to push me outside of my comfort zone?  Am I willing to take the risk?

Lord of perfection, You call me to journey with You up the high mountain of holiness. May I always see this journey as one that is glorious and fulfilling. I choose the life of perfection to which I am called and pray that I will always be open to the deepest moral truths You wish me to live. Jesus, I trust in You!

No comments: