When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Feeling better, learning new things

Finally!  I’m feeling much better today!  Thank God!  I know it’s because of the prayers said on my behalf (and the TLC I received from Marilyn and Alicia, who are blessings in my life!)  So I’m able to spend a little time today trying to get back in the swing of things and trying also to create a halfway decent blog entry.  I hope I succeeded. =================================================================================   

Although He speaks in other places of continuity with and fulfillment of what has come before, Jesus announces the “newness” that He brings, making use of two images.  The practice of fasting has no place at a wedding, Jesus points out, clearly announcing that He is the Bridegroom, the Messiah who inaugurates the “new times.”  As if to underscore His point, Jesus likewise points out the foolishness of an old wine skin put to use with new wine—it just won’t work!  The new wine likewise announces the “new times.” (Mark 2:18-22)

Having left behind the Christmas season only a week ago, we might ask ourselves today whether we have also left behind the “newness of life” experienced in those days.  Jesus, born into our world, continues to pursue us with a divine passion, even greater than that of the most loving bridegroom.  And, thanks to the gift of baptism, the love of God has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5, 5).  Are we allowing ourselves to be pursued by Love, or have we reverted once again to living life on our own terms?  Are we drinking the new wine of the Holy Spirit, experiencing the “sober intoxication” of that divine gift, or are we “running on our own steam” once again?

All this “newness” which Jesus proclaims today precludes any “business as usual,” and invites us to step fully into a new time, living in a new way as we march through a new year.

Browsing through the Book of Samuel today, it struck me that we can learn a great lesson from King Saul. Saul disobeyed God by taking the spoils from the Amalekites, an act which God had forbidden. Then, to justify his actions, he tells the prophet Samuel that he intended to use the prime sheep and oxen taken from the Amalekites as a burnt offering to God. Samuel quickly points out to him that God does not want sacrifices, but rather complete obedience to His word. (1 Samuel 15:16-23)

The same is true for us - we are to always obey His word. Put another way, it’s never right to do a wrong thing, no matter how good one's intentions. Or, we can say it is always right to do the right thing, regardless of any outcomes we may face. This is the wish of our God: to obey His word which is always perfectly right in any circumstance.

Speaking of “newness” and “lessons learned”, I learned something new yesterday.  I consider myself pretty good at trivia—I always win those types of games and I’m pretty adept at crossword puzzles and games, so I was surprised I had never heard the phrase “the Silver Rule” before!  When I asked Mom this morning if she had ever heard of it (after all, I got my passion for word games and trivia from her), she replied that she knew of the “Golden Rule”, but not the “Silver Rule.”  So we both learned something new!  Pretty good for a woman in her 90’s and her son pushing 60! 

Basically, the “Silver Rule” is “Don’t do unto others what you would not have them do unto you.”  Jesus put a “positive spin” on it when He said, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you." (Matthew 7:12).  Our Lord’s approach exhorts positive action to love one another, whereas the “Silver Rule” promotes no action at all, unless it is wanted.  So I love you whether you want me to or not (Lol), because that’s what our Lord commanded me to do.   

No comments: