When he was at table with them, he took the bread. He blessed the bread, and broke it, and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened and they recognized him!(Luke 24:13-35)

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I haven't been paying attention!

I haven’t been writing much lately.  At first, I thought it was because I was sicker than the proverbial dog.  Then I thought it was because I’ve been opening the center in the morning and closing it at night, working 15 to 16 hours a day. 

Today, the thought crossed my mind a couple of times that I wasn’t writing because I haven’t been able to “meet” with Jesus on a regular basis through daily Mass or frequent visits to the adoration chapel.  But that can’t be it—the Gospel of Mark brought that home to me when I read it this evening.  I have been seeing Jesus.  I just haven’t recognized Him! 

He was that woman who was having trouble paying for all of the groceries she needed—not wanted—and I failed to step up and help her pay for them.  He was that man that I went out of my way to avoid simply because he was holding a sign that said “HOMELESS FAMILY OF FOUR NEEDS GROCERIES OR MONEY”.   He was in that small child I was irritated with simply because he wouldn’t stop crying due to the fact that he was obviously undernourished.  And my ignorance of the presence of my Lord goes on, and on and on. 

If the evil spirits could do it, why can’t I? They saw Him and recognized Him for who He is. (Mark 3:7-12) But do we do as much? Do we see Christ where He is now? That's the difficult question. Where is Jesus?

One of my favorite games with Lily is when she sits on my lap, right in front of me.  I will put my hands over my eyes, or cover them with a book or newspaper and ask in a playful voice, “Wheeeerrrrrre’s Lillllly??” over and over again.  Then I’ll make a big production of removing the obstruction to my vision and say, “Oh!  There she is!”,  then we’ll both start giggling.  It’s obvious we both know where she is, but it’s a great joy to look one another in the eye and know the love we share.  So I ask again-- “Where is Jesus?”

Jesus lives, here and now. He is often right in front of us, as obvious as the daylight.  He is among us in the form of our brothers and sisters. Indeed, He told us as much. ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:40) This is what we must bear in mind as we pass through each day. All of those people we meet and see, and most especially those we make an effort not to see - those who, if we saw them, would make us uncomfortable or call us to an action we do not choose at this time - all of those people are Jesus for us, if we only let them be.

And there is another way in which we can look at each of the people around us and say, "You are the Son of God."  Indeed, we are all sons and daughters of God. Jesus is our brother and He is indeed the only begotten Son of God, but we all share in sonship, in spirit.

So, remember as you go through your day - each person you meet, and each person you greet - that person is, for you, for that time, Jesus. Do unto that person what you would do for Jesus.  I know I’ll try harder from now on.  Maybe He’ll say to me, “Oh!  Here I am!” and we’ll both start giggling over the joy of our closeness.

No comments: